Si’s amazing spicy baked eggs with beans and toasted sesame recipe. Serves about 4.
- Extra virgin olive oil (enough to thinly coat your pan or tray)
- 1/2 clove x garlic (roughly chopped)
- 1/2 x medium leek (roughly chopped)
- 1 tsp x fennel seeds
- 1 tsp x coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp x paprika (ground)
- A few twists x freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 bunch x fresh parsley including stalks (roughly chopped)
- About 10 basil leaves (torn up roughly)
- 2 beautifully ripe tomatoes (roughly chopped into small pieces)
- 1/2 x red capsicum (roughly chopped into small pieces)
- 1/4 cup x vegetable stock or filtered water.
- 1 handful x green beans (stalk tips removed)
- 2 Tb x white sesame seeds
- 1 good handful x baby spinach
- 6-8 whole eggs (Organic/biodynamic & free range if possible)
- Good quality sea salt for seasoning (I use Celtic, or Olson’s)
- A cast iron pan, baking tray or frying pan with a heat proof handle that can go in the oven.
- A lid or plate to cover the pan or tray for a few moments wheel on the stove.
- An oven preheated to 160 degrees Celsius
HOW TO MAKE:
This is a great way to share breakfast or brunch with some close friends, family or even with yourself!! Just be sure to use about 2 eggs per person.
TIP: It’s so simple but important to season as you go if you would like a full flavoured meal that brings out the layers of flavour from each ingredient. So be sure to add a little pinch of salt during each stage when adding the ingredients. All ovens and eggs aren’t created equal, so use the time frame mentioned as a guideline. Be sure to check your eggs after about 10 minutes to see how they cooking and remove them just before the whites are fully cooked as they will finish with the residual heat from the pan.
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Warm a pan or baking try on medium heat & add your olive oil with the garlic in it for a few moments.
- When it is sizzling gently add your leeks, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, chopped parsley stalks and sauté for another 5 or so minutes or until your leeks are soft and translucent.
- Add your capsicums and sauté for a few minutes until they soften a little and then add your tomatoes and paprika. Continue to sauté for another 5-10 minutes on medium-low heat or until your tomatoes are partly broken down and creating a light sauce. Now add your stock/water and green beans and cover for 3-5 minutes to gently steam the beans a little.
- While this is happening, crack your eggs into a bowl and wait.
- When your beans a vibrant green and slightly softer, add your spinach, basil and parsley. Stir through well.
- Pour your eggs in carefully and sprinkle with salt and sesame seeds.
- Continue to cook on stove until little bubbles first appear in the eggs and then Finnish in the oven.
- Be sure to check on them every 10 minutes or so to ensure they are cooked to your liking.
Place in the middle of the table simply with some toasted sourdough and if you have some do the following laying around, they are also a great addition.
Zesty almond and basil pesto (Recipe is here in our blog) fresh avocados, sauerkraut, and Chili.
About The Chef:
Simon Favorito: Executive Chef and Head of Whole-food Education
Simon Favorito comes from a lineage of wholefood chefs & has spent over half his life helping people to discover the magic of wholefood medicine through the culinary arts as a chef, a natural health practitioner, coach & teacher.
Simon offers conscious event catering, educational courses and personalized coaching that combine natural health principles, wholistic nutritional, modern psychology, traditional & contemporary food philosophy to help individuals create their own life changing food culture.
You can find Si cooking and teaching at Billabong Retreat every week Wednesday to Friday