I love vibrant, bright and full flavoured sauces and dressings like this! They make the best accompaniment to balance slightly sweet, rich and full-bodied offerings like pumpkin, sweet potato, polenta, eggplant, lasagna thick vegetable stews. This pesto is also an amazing dressing for a fresh leave salad, zucchini ribbons or tossed with cooked peas!
- 2 bunches of fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup or a good handful of baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of raw activated almonds
- 1 Tb of nutritional yeast flakes
- About 1/2 tsp of Celtic sea salt (more salt will soften the vibrant zesty-ness and less salt will high light the lemon, so best to start with less and add little by little tasting until you find your sweet spot)
- Several good twists of freshly cracked black pepper
How to make
- Blend all ingredients (except salt and pepper) until smooth and well combined. You can leave it a little chunky and textured if you like or blend until completely smooth if you prefer.
- Add the salt and pepper and season to your liking.
- Store on the fridge in a jar and cover the top with a layer of olive oil for up to 2 weeks.
About The Chef:
Simon Favorito comes from a lineage of wholefood chefs & has spent over half his life helping people to discover the magic of wholefood medicine through the culinary arts as a chef, a natural health practitioner, coach & teacher.
Simon offers conscious event catering, educational courses and personalized coaching that combine natural health principles, wholistic nutritional, modern psychology, traditional & contemporary food philosophy to help individuals create their own life changing food culture.
You can find Si cooking at Billabong Retreat every other weekend and most Thursdays and Fridays.