If you have a kids party with 16 hungry children coming this is a great healthy recipe to feed them. Otherwise just half or quarter the ingredients to serve less.
BOIL ORANGES for : 30-45 Minutes
PREP TIME : 15-20 Minutes
BAKING TIME : 45-60 Minutes
(Serves Approximately 16)
- 5 Fresh Eggs
- 1 Cup Maple Syrup
- 200 mls coconut cream
- 5 whole medium sized navel oranges – boiled including peel
- 1 tsp Vanilla paste
- 1 tsp Cinnamon Powder
- 2.5 Cups Almond Meal
- 2 Cups Desiccated Coconut
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 8 TBPS cocoa Powder
INGREDIENTS (CHOCOLATE SAUCE)
- 1/4 x cup coconut oil
- 3x tins (400ml tin) coconut cream
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 8 TBSPs cocoa
- Infuse with orange rind
- Boil 5 Medium sized oranges in a pot. (You can do this ahead of your baking time). Place a plate over the oranges so they are fully submerged in water. Boil for 30 – 45 minutes. Check half way through boiling that the oranges are soft and cooked through inside once pricked by the tip of a knife. One ready, drain and set aside to cool.
- Set oven at 180°C
- In a mixing bowl mix all wet ingredients and whisk well. Crack eggs, pour in maple syrup and 200 mls cup of Coconut Cream.
- In a bowl, slice through oranges into half just to make sure that there are no seeds. Transfer oranges into a food processor and blitz to a fine consistency including the peel. Transfer into the mixing bowl and mix well with all the liquid ingredients.
- Add almond meal, desiccated coconut into the bowl. Use a small sieveand sieve cocoa powder through.. Mix well. Once you are happy with the taste and consistency of the batter, sieve through 1 tsp of baking powder and give this another thorough mix.
- Line rectangular baking dish with baking paper and pour in the cake mix. Using a spatula, even through layer in the baking pan.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes until cake is cooked in the middle.
- Leave to cool on the bench and then carefully lift baking paper and cut into squares.
METHOD FOR VANILLA CHOCOLATE SAUCE
- Melt about . cups of coconut oil. In an iron cast pan or a glass pan (vision), mix coconut oil and coconut cream until it reaches a fine consistency and not too clumpy.
- Add the coconut sugar, mix well until sugar is fully dissolved.
- Sieve through 8 TBSPs of Cocoa Powder and mix well.
- The chocolate sauce should be glistening. Add a few rinds of oranges and let it infuse for a couple of minutes. Set aside to cool.
Once the cake’s sides have been trimmed off and sliced into equal serving portions, spread over chocolate sauce on top. I drizzle over chocolate sauce onto a chilled dessert bowl and garnish with a slice of orange-twist on the side, and I then position the cake slice onto the bowl. Serve individually with strawberry slices on top and drizzle over a bit more of the chocolate sauce. Now, time to dig-in and enjoy.
- Rectangular Baking Dish
- Baking Paper
- Rubber Spatula
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Mixing Bowl
- Food Processor
This recipe was by Billabong chef Annah Dellosa – check her out on Facebook