This is a seriously delicious and earthy chocolate cake. This recipe has been used for many a wedding, engagement party, birthday or baby shower and is a perfect treat for Christmas! it never fails to impress.
- 3 medium beetroots
- 2 cups brown rice flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- ¾ cup desiccated coconut
- 3 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1 cup cocoa
- 2 cups rapadura – evaporated cane juice
- 1 ½ cups virgin coconut oil
- 3 organic free range eggs
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla essence
- ½ cup coconut cream
- Peel and wash beetroot and steam for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Leave to cool, then puree in a food processor. You should end up with about 2 cups of puree.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Line a 24cm cake tin and set aside.
- Combine the brown rice flour, tapioca flour, gluten free baking powder, desiccated coconut and sifted cocoa into a bowl. Add the rapadura and whisk gently to combine.
- In a separate bowl, blend the coconut oil, eggs, vanilla essence, coconut cream and beetroot puree and mix together until smooth.
- Spoon into the prepared tin and bake for 1hr – 1hr 15 minutes, or until the centre springs back to the touch.
- Leave alone for ten minutes, then turn onto a wire rack to cool.
We suggest serving with a dollop of chocolate avocado mousse for a decadent vegan touch.
This recipe was provided by our wonderful chef Angie, you can find more of her wonderful recipes at:
And if you would like to try some of her yummy food book into a relaxation retreat at billabong retreat and enjoy her lovely organic delicious meals.